Servings: 10 slices • Prep time: 15 min. • Cooking time: 40 mins. • Easy
This is the perfect combination: When Eggplant parmigiana married a pizza.J The recipe is simple, easy and pleases everyone. The longest wait is for the eggplant slices to cook in the oven (your dough) and I usually use the time to make a nice side salad. Please use any of your favorite toppings, for this recipe I just wanted to give you the basics! You will probably need a couple of eggplants as this recipe is a crowd pleaser!
1 cup mini cherry tomatoes, halved
¾ cup mini mozzarella
½ cup mushrooms (or other toppings
of your choice)
¾ cup shredded mozzarella (skim)
1 oz. Oregano and/or Basil
Cooking oil spray
1 large or 2 small eggplant (to make
10 ¾-inch thick slices)
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, sliced very thin
1 tsp. of each: garlic powder, salt
and pepper, Herbes de Provence
¾ cup marinara sauce (I prefer Rao’s)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the eggplant between ½ inch thick to ¾ inch thick.
2. Prep the pan sheet with the cooking oil spray. Place the slices of eggplant on it. (We did 5 per sheet). Brush the eggplant with olive oil.
3. Slice the garlic and place a few on each eggplant.
4. Sprinkle salt and pepper, Herbes de Provence and garlic powder on each slice (be generous).
5. Grill in the oven for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven. Place a tbsp. of Marinara sauce on each eggplant slices. Add some basil and oregano on the top.
7. Add some cherry tomatoes, a mini mozzarella ball or two and mushrooms or other toppings.
8. Top with shredded mozzarella. I also like to add a little additional Herbes de Provence on the top. It doesn’t have to be perfect, it will taste delicious – it’s PIZZA!
9. Place in the oven for another 10 minutes, et VOILA!
10. Decorate with fresh Basil and/or Oregano. Eat immediately.