Watermelon & Prosciutto Appetizer
Servings: 20 pieces • Prep time: 20 min. • Cooking time: 6 min. • Very Easy
This is an adorable, bite-size appetizer that I make for almost every lunch party! We are huge fans of watermelon as it is so refreshing and extremely low in calories. The Halloumi cheese can be found in many supermarkets or may be replaced with Brie cheese which will not need to be sautéed.
½ cup roasted sliced almonds
1 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
edible flowers (optional)
1 whole seedless watermelon (about 3 lbs.)
1 tbsp. olive oil
8 oz. Halloumi cheese or Brie
3 oz. prosciutto
1 oz. fresh basil
1. Slice the watermelon into ½ inch rounds and with a cookie cutter knife cut 20 bite size pieces (about 2 inches wide) from the centers.
2. Slice the Halloumi cheese in ½ inch thick.
3. Sauté with olive oil in a small skillet over high heat for 3 minutes on each side. Once cool, cut into bite size squares.
4. Wrap each square of grilled Halloumi cheese with a slice of prosciutto.
5. Place each piece of prosciutto-wrapped cheese on a serving plate. Top with a basil leaf and piece of watermelon. Hold with a toothpick.
6. I like to decorate with a few roasted, sliced almonds, drops of balsamic vinegar and edible flowers.