Seared Salmon with Romanesco Broccoli
Servings: 4 • Prep time: 20 min. • Cooking time: 15 min. • Easy
This meal is very healthy and low in calories. I found and prepared this recipe with an amazing looking Romanesco broccoli (also known as Roman cauliflower), but a simple broccoli or plain cauliflower will work perfectly here! (They also come in many fabulous colors, like purple, green or yellow.) The Tahini “Lebanese” sauce will really make the dish and is bursting with amazing flavors! I like to steam the cruciferous vegetables, and place them immediately in ice water to keep the beautiful color – just make sure you reheat for a minute before serving.
½ cup of water or more
4 radishes, sliced
4 – 6 oz. pieces of salmon
1 tsp. sesame oil
Zest of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste
½ cup pine nuts
1 head Romanesco broccoli or cauliflower
1 garlic clove
½ cup tahini
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 oz. fresh parsley
1 oz. fresh dill
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Sauté the pine nuts for 5 minutes over medium heat.
2. Make the sauce in a mini Cuisinart: Add the garlic clove, tahini, lemon juice, a few pine nuts, dash of salt and pepper, most the parsley and dill plus a splash of water to start. Reserve some of the herbs to decorate and serve. While mixing add the water to the tahini slowly until it looks creamy and is the desired consistency (It will depend of the kind of Tahini you purchase).
3. Julienne or slice the radishes.
4. Debone the salmon and sprinkle with salt, pepper and lemon zest.
5. Prep a bowl with ice water to bathe the broccoli once steamed. Steam the Romanesco broccoli for 10 min (If you have cauliflower I steam for 15 min or more depending on the size of the florets). Move immediately to ice water to preserve the beautiful color. You should reheat for 1 minute before serving.
6. Move immediately to ice water to preserve the beautiful color. You should reheat for 1 minute before serving.
7. In a HOT oven-safe pan or skillet: Place the salmon face down for 2 min on each side.
8. Finish it in the oven for about 3 min. It should be crispy on the outside and pink in the middle (medium rare).
9. Serve the salmon with the steamed Romanesco broccoli and the tahini sauce. Decorate with pine nuts and dill/parsley. Its lovely!