Cauliflower Turmeric Bread
Servings: 12 slices • Prep time: 25 min. • Cooking time: 45 min. • Medium
I had been looking for a very healthy gluten free bread recipe with more vegetable than flour and finally found a great one. The recipe was inspired by the famous chef Yotam Ottolenghi, but his was more like a cake than a bread. You can make it entirely of egg white for an even healthier version. Sometimes I even add thinly sliced collard greens with excellent results. As usual, make it work for you as I am only an inspiration.
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup gluten free flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ cup gruyere cheese, shredded
½ cup skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 oz. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/3 cup pine nuts
1 head of cauliflower, any color
1 red onion
2 eggs and 7 egg whites
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. Earth Balance® butter spread, melted (plus additional for baking dish and sauté pan)
1 tsp. turmeric
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat the baking dish with butter spread.
2. Cut the cauliflower in small florets and steam for 15 minutes.
3. Slice the onion thinly.
4. In a small pan over high heat, sauté the onion in a bit of butter spread for 5 to 7 minutes until golden and translucent.
5. Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl. Add salt and pepper, melted butter spread, turmeric and cayenne.
6. Add the flour, baking powder, both cheeses and rosemary.
7. Mix in the cauliflower carefully, trying not to break the florets.
8. Coat the bottom of baking dish with pine nuts and top with the cooked onion.
9. Add batter mix and cook for 45 to 50 minutes.
10. Let cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge and remove bread. Slice and serve.